Internationaler Workshop "Civil Democracy Protection"
12.11.2020 - 14:00 Uhr bis 13.11.2020
Videokonferenz, Hannah-Arendt-Institut für Totalitarismusforschung
Beschreibung der Veranstaltung
Civil Democracy Protection
12. and 13. November 2020
Prof. Dr. Uwe Backes / Prof. Dr. Thomas Lindenberger
Civil Democracy Protection
What significance do civil actors have for the establishment and consolidation of democratic constitutional states, especially in relation to the protection of democracy by state institutions?
In contrast to the protection of democracy by state security authorities, civil society protection of democracy has so far remained almost terra incognita. The exploration into civil society democracy protection actors shows large gaps. Connections between the genesis, the effectiveness, the success/failure and the significance of civil organizations for the protection of democracy have so far been only partially researched. The international and interdisciplinary conference aims to cut a swath through the thicket by tracing the history of civil democracy protection actors from the establishment of democratic constitutional states up to the present day and by developing a first set of systematic and comparative approaches. The central question of the conference will therefor be: What significance do civil actors have for the establishment and consolidation of democratic constitutional states, especially in relation to the protection of democracy by state institutions?
November 12th, 2020, Panel I: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (CET)
Introduction (Uwe Backes, Thomas Lindenberger)
- Human rights leagues in France and Germany (Dominik Rigoll)
- Reichsbanner (Sebastian Elsbach)
- Anti-Defamation League (George Michael)
- International Committee on the University Emergency (Nikolai Wehrs)
November 12th, 2020, Panel II: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CET)
- Belgium (Dirk Rochtus)
- Netherlands (Sebastiaan van Leunen)
- Great Britain (Isabelle-Christine Panreck)
- USA (Ami Pedahzur)
November 13th, 2020, Panel III: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (CET)
- France (Jean-Yves Camus)
- Germany (Tom Mannewitz)
- Czech Republic (Pavol Frič)
- Austria (Manès Weisskircher)
November 13th, 2020, Panel IV: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CET)
- Transnational cooperation between anti-extremist organizations in Central Europe (Miroslav Mareš)
- Civil democracy protection and the development of democratic constitutional states (Uwe Backes)
- Current challenges of civil democracy protection (Michael Nattke)
Closing remarks (Uwe Backes, Thomas Lindenberger)
Diese Maßnahme wird mitfinanziert mit Steuermittel auf Grundlage des vom Sächsischen Landtag beschlossenen Haushaltes.
© HAIT e.V., 2020